[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Amaroth • View topic - Everything you've always wanted to know about J.J.
homehomehome
leftWikiForumChatroomhomeBibliotheekAcademieAtlasright
bottom
It is currently Fri 30 Oct 2020, 03:15

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sun 14 Oct 2012, 18:23 
Inhabitant
Inhabitant

Hello guys & girls!
I'm J.J., though you may call me Jan (which is, as many of you probably know, a Dutch boy's name, not an American girl's name...). The second J. is a mystery to all but a very small nexus of the Chosen.
I live in the city of Groningen, in the Netherlands, where am currently reading Artificial Intelligence at the RUG University. I'm seventeen years old, and I don't drink (alcohol), I don't party or dance, and I don't do any sports (yet). I like playing the piano or video games, reading, and watching movies and tv series. I guess that pretty much makes me the average guy on this site.
Should my utterly incomplete description of my life disappoint you, or leave you with that gnawing feeling that you've missed something very important (which is often described in books, though I never experienced it myself), I am always glad to share another part of my life with fellow, er, fellows. I've told enough lies on Youtube, so if I don't want you to know something and you do ask about it, don't worry, I'll tell you.
By the way, here's a picture of a fish. :vis:

PostPosted: Sun 14 Oct 2012, 18:26 
Guard
Guard

Welcome JJ

still have the feeling I know you -_-'

PostPosted: Sun 14 Oct 2012, 19:35 
Soldier
Soldier

Lols xD

Hello J.J. :D You're very welcome :D

One question, because you didn't answered it in your welcomespost.. Which book character do you want to marry?

PostPosted: Sun 14 Oct 2012, 20:59 
Creation-team
Creation-team

Welcome J.J.!

Hé, do study the same in the same place, maybe we should hang out sometime! :V

De ananas is wel duur!

PostPosted: Mon 15 Oct 2012, 06:27 
Guard
Guard

I believe you already do :P

PostPosted: Mon 15 Oct 2012, 06:54 
Soldier
Soldier

Welcome here,

At this moment I don't have any questions for you, so....

Enjoy your time on amaroth

Going faster than the speed of light isn't possible. That would mean you could go to a place in time. And at that time you wouldn´t be born, but still would be at that place.

PostPosted: Mon 15 Oct 2012, 09:50 
Inhabitant
Inhabitant

Which book character... Dang, indeed, seems I skipped that part in my introduction...
Well... I guess I can skip the male ones. I'll skip the nasty ones, and the bitchy ones as well, and the evil ones. Oh, and the weird, the (really) ugly, the stupid, the naive, the humorless, the giggling, the stubborn, the non-human.
...I suppose that leaves Hermione Granger, Ginny Weasley, Eowyn and Margaery Tyrell. I just had to made that up though, so I guess I don't really want to marry any book characters. Sorry :cry:
I'll update as soon as I think of one. :vis:

PostPosted: Mon 15 Oct 2012, 11:11 
Soldier
Soldier

haha xD Good choices though :D

PostPosted: Mon 15 Oct 2012, 11:34 
Creation-team
Creation-team

Valar Morghulis.

PostPosted: Mon 15 Oct 2012, 12:51 
Soldier
Soldier

aSolaF?

PostPosted: Mon 15 Oct 2012, 13:12 
Inhabitant
Inhabitant

Yeah well, someone uses the Imp for an avatar... I can't stay behind now, can I?

PS. He never mentioned aSoIaF before? :o
A Song of Ice and Fire is the best running fantasy series. Surely you must know that. :ugeek:

PostPosted: Mon 15 Oct 2012, 13:17 
Soldier
Soldier

I know! Did read everything in now time xD But didn't know the short term xD

PostPosted: Mon 15 Oct 2012, 14:33 
Creation-team
Creation-team

ASoIaF is my favorite series with a reason :V Love how there's no black or white in it, only grey of various shades. It's not the best fantasy series out there because it lacks actual fantasy (there's the White Walkers, dragons and magic gets mentioned too, but compared to the avarage fantasy book that's real darn little) but it sure is the best in its niche. And I happen to love that niche :V
It could use some more sympathetic female characters, though. Something to balance out that ever-present urge to stab Cersei in the eye, y'know.

This topic is now the aSoIaF topic :V

Valar Morghulis.

PostPosted: Mon 15 Oct 2012, 15:06 
Inhabitant
Inhabitant

Lol. But keep it spoiler free, please... Well, for me, no aDwD spoilers at least until I'm done reading aDwD. :)
I know... reading those "Cersei"-chapters, I was ready to strangle her at any time, and I didn't lke Catelyn even before she became... well, who she became. Sansa's naive, Arya's much to stubborn... Brienne's OK though. A pity she's so manly and hideous.
As for the quality of the books, I like its originality, though one is prone to drown in the details if one doesn't skip about ten names a chapter (including places, characters, ships...). However, I guess that's only normal for fantsy books. I still think it's the best running fantasy series (lack of fantasy clichés is not an argument, Ulysses!!!) but I lack the reading experience to support that statement, so... Bugger that. :vis:
House Tully! Hope they survive :(

PostPosted: Mon 15 Oct 2012, 15:41 
Creation-team
Creation-team

Lack of fantasy cliché is not an argument. Lack of fantasy overall is :P The world of aSoIaF is gritty and realistic, but when it gets down to the core you can hardly call it original. It's the myriad of well-written characters that make the series great, along with good writing and dramatic turns of events. The plot itself is rather weak (everyone is faffing about while ignoring the actual threat and plot) and the only truly original bits are the extraordinary length of the seasons and something I'm not going to spoil.
After DwD, Martin's original plot starts to get clear. He originally intended the series to be a trilogy and we're at the end of the second book now, plotwise. The reason we're at 5 books now instead of 2 is that he got sidetracked on the details and the Game of Thrones and now he needs 2 more books to wrap up everything instead of 1.

Martin spends a lot of time worldbuilding, and we're basically doing the same thing with Amaroth. His level of historic and political detail is something I personally aim for. But there's more to it than just characters, history and politics and that's something Martin is neglecting.

Valar Morghulis.