[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Amaroth • View topic - Artwork
homehomehome
leftWikiForumChatroomhomeBibliotheekAcademieAtlasright
bottom
It is currently Fri 30 Oct 2020, 03:43

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Artwork
PostPosted: Thu 20 Sep 2012, 18:33 
Civilian
Civilian

Here is the picture for the wiki-article about magic. It's a rogue mage so I made him look like a mercenary. Is that OK?

Post subject: Re: Artwork
PostPosted: Thu 20 Sep 2012, 18:51 
Creation-team
Creation-team

A job really well done!
I really like how you didn't make him physically weak, but a tough guy instead of a wimpy geek. Magic is about focus, control and determination, not robes, books and staves.
You showed that real well with the stance, facial expression and outfit. This man has a very realistic look for a rogue mage: he can handle himself and you don't want to mess with him. I love it!

The magic itself is portrayed decently, but it's a little static. It's like the rocks are just floating there while the mage's stance implies that he is moving them, not just making them float. I think a few movement lines would fix that.

One remark: his belt-bag and sword are on the same hip. Isn't it rather impractical to focus all your weight on one side? It can't be good for your balance. Maybe you should move the bag to the other hip? It's just a detail, though. If it'd give you trouble, just leave it.

Edit because double posting is bad.

If you'd like to, I'd love to see you make an example for every discipline to give an indication for them and because having sets would be neat.
I'm thinking of it like this: two rogues, two courts, a male and a female of both kinds. The male rogue performs earth magic, you already showed that one. The female rogue performs fire magic, like a ring of flames or something. The male courtmage would perform water magic, conjuring a wall of ice or maybe a big wave. The female courtmage uses air: she flies by shooting off jets of air behind and below her to stay airborn (it's not graceful at all, though. You're basically just hurling yourself away from your current position rather than glide on the air currents).

If rogues are mercenaries (which is a very fitting comparison, by the way) then court mages are knights. Both can be very skillful and lethal but their styles can differ greaty. Knights train with dummies and wooden swords, mercenaries with cold steel on the battlefield. Mercs have to be crafty, knights are well-supplied. Grittiness versus grace, determined outcast versus well-trained servant.
As such, court mages are more elegant and precise while rogues focus on brutal efficiency. This reflects upon their looks and demeanor (what you did really well here).
Remember though, court mages don't look like pampered bookworms at all. As living status symbols and bodyguards they are trained to be impressive and intimidating.

Of course, it's all just a suggestion so don't feel forced to do this because you can drop it if you don't like it.

Dang, I should put this courtmage-rogue stuff on the magic article :V

Valar Morghulis.

PostPosted: Fri 21 Sep 2012, 14:56 
Civilian
Civilian

Here's the new pic:

I'll try to do the other pics you want. But I don't promise anything :D

PostPosted: Fri 21 Sep 2012, 16:28 
Soldier
Soldier

It's on the wiki:
http://www.amaroth.org/wiki/index.php?title=Magic

PostPosted: Fri 21 Sep 2012, 16:50 
Soldier
Soldier

And also in the lessons:
http://www.amaroth.org/academie/lessen/KIALes5.html

Uly are you happy with the form as it is? Do you want me to delete the line under the picture?

PostPosted: Fri 21 Sep 2012, 18:02 
Creation-team
Creation-team

The size seems about right to me on the wiki. Do you think you can move the picture up a paragraph so it ends up on the top right of the article?
Also, the line in the wiki-article is incorrect. There is no such thing as an earth-mage, as all mages can use every element and aren't bound to a single one. There's a difference between magicians and mages as well. Mages move crap with mystical powers. Magicians wear penguin suits and matching thin moustaches who pull rabits from a top-hat and know card tricks.
A more fitting line would be "A rogue mage using earth magic."
As for the lesson: I think it's best to remove the line under the drawing because it messes up the lay-out.

Valar Morghulis.

PostPosted: Sun 23 Sep 2012, 11:30 
Soldier
Soldier

I can change the placing of the picture, but it will be very awfull.. I have made it now on the top, as you can see, it's not reather beautifull. I don't like it to go through the textblocks. But say as you wish. Can change it back at any time.
http://amaroth.org/wiki/index.php?title=Magic

Will change the line.. but the layout was already messed up :V Can't remove the extra enters -.- stupid stuff etc etc *rage*

PostPosted: Sun 23 Sep 2012, 14:28 
Creation-team
Creation-team

Well, I don't think it looks awful at all :V

Valar Morghulis.

PostPosted: Mon 24 Sep 2012, 13:09 
Soldier
Soldier

Emiel, if you want to draw a plant:
http://www.amaroth.org/wiki/index.php?title=Alandrop

PostPosted: Mon 24 Sep 2012, 17:15 
Civilian
Civilian

Can't we make a list here of the artwork we need? 'Cause I can't remember all the things I've to do:

-The Faith
-1 female rogue mage
-1 female courtmage
-1 male courtmage
-sleeping Dindi
-Alendrop
-Alfafish
-Hazathorn
-Morkweed
-Gilgyah
-Pyct

Edit: Ohw I can change your post with my modpowers :O

PostPosted: Tue 25 Sep 2012, 12:45 
Soldier
Soldier

Alright! I can change your post.. Didin't know that, so that's easy :D

PostPosted: Tue 25 Sep 2012, 19:10 
Civilian
Civilian

Heey, before I start working on the things on the list, I want to change my artstyle. I'm not sure what I want, so please give me your opinion! Which one is better:

PostPosted: Tue 25 Sep 2012, 19:21 
Creation-team
Creation-team

You're going to make it very hard on yourself with the new shading. It does give a sense of darkness, but I think that it's rather... occasional. It really depends on the situation what style is better to use. Caves and dark rooms ask for more shading, but open air scenarios make lots of shade look rather silly.

Valar Morghulis.

PostPosted: Wed 26 Sep 2012, 16:38 
Civilian
Civilian

Not only the shading is different: I also made some lines not 100% black and I gave it a more sepia-like color ambiance. I thinks that I'm doing the second style but with less shading.

PostPosted: Sat 29 Sep 2012, 22:28 
Soldier
Soldier

Well Emiel, I would prefere the second style too with less shaden.
The second style has more vibrance than the first one.

Going faster than the speed of light isn't possible. That would mean you could go to a place in time. And at that time you wouldn´t be born, but still would be at that place.