[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Amaroth • View topic - River descriptions
homehomehome
leftWikiForumChatroomhomeBibliotheekAcademieAtlasright
bottom
It is currently Fri 30 Oct 2020, 03:22

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: River descriptions
PostPosted: Sun 11 Nov 2012, 14:09 
Soldier
Soldier

Do you guys have any ideas about what to tell about rivers? I made a description of the river Berma and don't know if it's enough:

The Berma is a river in the east of Avaren.

==Geografy==
[[Image:Berma.jpg | thumb | 200px | right | The river Berma]]
The offsprings of the river Berma lies in [[Yuroka]]. The river flows to the south and reaches in the south of [[Icura]] the sea. Other county's which the Berma crosses are [[Havenaden]], [[Ulvenaden]] and [[Firayla]].

==Etymology==
The name 'Berma' is based on the Eyenera word ''berma'' which means moisture. [[The old people]] probably named the river 'Berma' because it's a water. There aren't other explanations known about the name of the river Berma.

==History==
Around 400 a.d. the Berma formed the battlefield in the war against the Empire. The Empire threatened to cross the Berma. A big united army of the different kingdoms of Avaren put the Empire back and therefore prevented that soldiers crossed the Berma.

[[category:Avaren]]

Post subject: Re: River descriptions
PostPosted: Fri 16 Nov 2012, 19:46 
Creation-team
Creation-team

Had a big post about a proposition I was going to make here, but then my father found it fun to seize the computer and close my tabs, effectively destroying everything I wrote.
FML.
Tomorrow then.

Valar Morghulis.

PostPosted: Tue 20 Nov 2012, 07:38 
Creation-team
Creation-team

Double post because I'm a renegade now 8-) And you better enjoy it 'cuz I've had to rewrite this crap like three times over the weekend :V

These are good articles to have but it's kind of hard to fill them with info without becoming too trivial. Here's what comes to mind: biology and uses. Does the river mark any borders? Is it used for irrigration or travel by boat? What kind of creatures can be found in or around it? That sort of thing.

But I think we're limiting ourselves here. Why only rivers? Why not lakes, seas or mountain ranges? those need names and articles just as well. And to give it a bit of a jump start, I'm making an article on Inealeth Reach

Inealeth Reach is the large mountain range between Avaren and the Empire.

==Geography==
As the second largest mountain range on Auralis Inealeth Reach has a quite large effect on everything around it. No less than seven of the greater rivers of Auralis find their origin in these mountains and it's sheer size has formed the natural border between the Imperial lands and Avarian Kingdoms since the dawn of history.
Even so, it is suprisingly friendly for a mountain range, especially on the western side. The wind from the sea brings clouds to the area, causing weir rain that makes Inealeth Reach a place that can simply be described as "wet." The rain erodes the mountains, fertilizes the soil and is the supplier of the hundreds of smaller and seven bigger rivers that sprout in the mountains. There are plenty of fertile valleys to be found in the outer area of the Reach, offering a home to thriving villages and small cities.
The inner ring is harsh, however. The gentle weir rains of the vales turn into lethal blizzards at the heart of the Reach, making the few passes between west and east that exist impassable during the colder months.
The Reach is rich in iron and other ore. Many people on both sides of the Reach mine for these precious metals and it is a major export product, especially on the Avarian side.
The peaks of the heart, being rough and edgey, have an avarage height around 4 kilometers. The dales go as deep as 1200 meter above sealevel, a few hundred meters below the tree line. As such there is little vegetation in the heart and avalanches are a common occurrence. The highest peak in the heart measures 4740 meters.
The vales are far more modest. The valleys between the mountains there are about 800 meters above sealevel with the peaks of the mountains reaching as far as 2,5 to 3 kilometers avarage, depending on the location.

==Etymology==
Originally the area was called Aquina Nealetha by the Old Race, Eyenera for wet rock. In time the name mutated into Aquinealeth Reach and later into Inealeth Reach.

==Flora and Fauna==
The vales of the Reach are fertile and teeming with life. Deciduous trees can be found in the warmer north, while the colder south is covered in coniferous forests. Both varieties come with a great variety of animals and plants.
The cold heart is a completely different matter. Only the hardiest and snow-proof animals and plants survive at its heights, the most peculiar of which being the Wyvern, the most famous member of the Herjonicjo (winged reptile) family, who prefer to build their nests around the edges of the inner ring and hunt in the outer.

==History==
Inealeth Reach has been a wedge between the peoples east and west of it for millennia and few attempt to cross its dangerous passes. Add the isolation between vales and you will find Inealeth Reach to be a place where nothing historic ever happens. It's just there. Even so, it has been one of the major reasons for the difference in culture between Avaren and the Empire.

Valar Morghulis.

Last edited by Ulysses on Wed 21 Nov 2012, 01:13, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue 20 Nov 2012, 08:08 
Soldier
Soldier

An interesting piece of work Uly. Not much trivial stuff here :P.
You gave us a lot of info. Still I have some questions.
I like to have more data about the range. Like, what is the average height of the mountain peak. Which mountain peek is the highest.

That are my questions until now. Good work Ulysses

Going faster than the speed of light isn't possible. That would mean you could go to a place in time. And at that time you wouldn´t be born, but still would be at that place.

PostPosted: Tue 20 Nov 2012, 13:24 
Creation-team
Creation-team

You raise a valid question. Truth to be told: I don't have the slightest of clues. Going to have to do some research about it, find an Earthly equivalent. Off the top of my head, I'd say the mountains of Inealeth Reach are about the height of the Alps tops, probably lower.
Average height is a very tricky piece of data. As you can see on the map of Auralis, only the heart has truly impressive mountains while the outter rim is rather smooth. I guess I could make an avarage for the vales and an avarage for the heart to show the contrast and what you can expect in the habitable zones.

As for the highest peak... Mont Blanc (the tallest mountain in the Alps) measures 4810,9 meters. The highest Inealethian peak will probably be around the same height, probably a tad lower. Say, 4740.

Oh hell, I'm at it anyway, might as well give the avarage heights of heart and vales.
The peaks of the heart, being rough and edgey, have an avarage height around 4 kilometers. The dales go as deep as 1200 meter above sealevel, a few hundred meters below the tree line. As such there is little vegetation in the heart and avalanches are a common occurrence.
The vales are far more modest. The valleys between the mountains there are about 800 meters above sealevel with the peaks of the mountains reaching as far as 2,5 to 3 kilometers avarage, depending on the location.

Valar Morghulis.

PostPosted: Tue 20 Nov 2012, 19:19 
Soldier
Soldier

Sounds like a young mountain range. Don't know if you know this, but the height of a mountain(excluding volcanoes I believe) depends mostly on age and the plate tectonics. The Himalaya's are that high because it is the oldest mountain range in the world. The Alps are relative young, so I think the heights suit this range well.

Going faster than the speed of light isn't possible. That would mean you could go to a place in time. And at that time you wouldn´t be born, but still would be at that place.

PostPosted: Tue 20 Nov 2012, 21:08 
Creation-team
Creation-team

I know about the geology behind mountains, don't worry ;) I was, indeed, going for a young mountain range. Older formations are often eroded to a certain level of smoothness. Passes become easier to access, valleys are bigger, peaks aren't as high. All in all old mountain ranges do a poor job in isolating people from each other, so Inealeth Reach had no other option than to be a young range.
From a geological perspective the location of the range hardly makes sense. There's no peninsula crashing into a bigger landmass and it's a very odd place for a breaching line of plates. But if we'd pay attention to every one of those details Auralis would be a very, very dull-looking place.

Valar Morghulis.

PostPosted: Tue 20 Nov 2012, 21:51 
Soldier
Soldier

PostPosted: Tue 20 Nov 2012, 22:15 
Soldier
Soldier

You are right ulysses. Somethings doesn't need to be too detailed.

PostPosted: Wed 21 Nov 2012, 01:11 
Creation-team
Creation-team

I see your point, Lav. What I wrote is based on likeleyhood. Two kingdoms that are isolated from one another are not very likely to go to war, causing little political shift and valley-based government. We may see the unification wars/politics of these little vale-kingdoms into bigger kingdoms like Beranala. But until we have actual information on that stuff I'm keeping it vague.
And I agree with you on the isolation being a historic feat on its own. That's why I added it :)

I'll add the data about heights to the geology part so you can add it to the Wiki.

Valar Morghulis.

PostPosted: Sat 24 Nov 2012, 12:37 
Soldier
Soldier

It's on the wiki. I will make a picture from this mountain range, later this week.

PostPosted: Sat 24 Nov 2012, 12:58 
Soldier
Soldier

If there is a picture at the page, well I guess it is a finished page then. I also checked it on typo's and I found some.

And Lav, I am disappointed. Why don't you use the wiki button for it??

PostPosted: Sat 24 Nov 2012, 13:11 
Soldier
Soldier

Don't know how to do that :( -bad moderator-

edit: Good editing Duck! :D

PostPosted: Sat 24 Nov 2012, 22:05 
Creation-team
Creation-team

Hold the phone, Duck. I'm pretty certain my English is better than yours and what you may consider a typo or wrong may actually be correct. Would you post the errors here so I can check if they are actually errors?

Valar Morghulis.

PostPosted: Sat 24 Nov 2012, 23:02 
Soldier
Soldier

I already checked it, it were typo's. Below the changes:

>Even so, it is suprisingly friendly for a mountain range
Even so, it is surprisingly friendly for a mountain range

have an avarage height around 4 kilometers
have an average height around 4 kilometers

he dales go as deep as 1200 meter above sealevel,
The dales go as deep as 1200 meter above sea level,

he valleys between the mountains there are about 800 meters above sealevel with the peaks of the mountains reaching as far as 2,5 to 3 kilometers avarage
The valleys between the mountains there are about 800 meters above sea level with the peaks of the mountains reaching as far as 2,5 to 3 kilometers average

You can discuss about the sealevel thing, but it doesn't matter to me.. so I let it be..