[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Amaroth • View topic - Request a province
homehomehome
leftWikiForumChatroomhomeBibliotheekAcademieAtlasright
bottom
It is currently Fri 30 Oct 2020, 02:48

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Request a province
PostPosted: Sat 26 May 2012, 14:31 
Creation-team
Creation-team

The official thread to claim a province to work on!

I don't think I have to explain the use of this thread, it's straightforward enough. Claim province, get it accepted, receive starting pack, start working.
When you are done with your province, you are to create a new topic for it. There, the creation-team will rate it.

(the map still has to be rendered digitally, sorry about that)
County of Vyalae = County of Grace: AVAILABLE.
County of Aquinasko = County of the Waters: AVAILABLE.
Duchy of Nicj = Duchy of the West: CLAIMED (Wubbles).
Duchy of Deroman = Duchy of the Strong: AVAILABLE.
Duchy of Maetranarch = Duchy of the Ruler: RESERVED.
County of Havenaden = County of the First Riverside: AVAILBLE.
County of Ulvenaden = County of the Second Riverside: RESERVED.
County of Kojadish = County of the Vain: RESERVED.
Duchy of Thar = Duchy of the East: RESERVED.
Duchy of Yuroka = Duchy of the Hills: CLAIMED. (FantasyRik, starting pack sent, confirmation pending)
County of Beranela = County of the Mountain: AVAILABLE.
Duchy of Xes = Duchy of the South: AVAILABLE.
Duchy of Iln = Duchy of the North: AVAILABLE.
County of Lynmeon = County of the Green Grass: AVAILABLE.
County of Ixinar = County of the Plains: AVAILABLE.
County of Nenaka = County of the Noses: AVAILABLE.
Duchy of Semaka = Duchy of the Seas: AVAILABLE.
County of Ersenai = County of the fallen blossom: CLAIMED. (dhr duck, starting pack sent, confirmation pending)
County of Icura = County of the Cold Land: RESERVED.
County of Rucara = County of the Round Land: AVAILABLE.
County of Hajera = County of Eternal Spring: AVAILABLE.
County of Alenark = County of the Fishermen: AVAILABLE.
County of Zalineka = County of the Many Trees: AVAILABLE.
County of Avelia = County of the Flowing Tears: CLAIMED. (Lavinia, starting pack pending)
County of Nimaya = County of the Grazing Animal: AVAILABLE.
County of Anai = County of the Yellow Blossom: CLAIMED. (Isakvip, starting pack sent, confirmation pending)
County of Cilara = County of the Bright Star: AVAILABLE.
County of Sileth = County of the Shining Stone: AVAIABLE.
Duchy of Firayla = Duchy of the Split Land: RESERVED.
County of Meraley = County of the Little Fruit: CLAIMED. (Arin, starting pack sent, confirmation pending)
County of Leros = County of the Red Leaf: AVAILABLE.
County of Arnara = County of the Haven: AVAILABLE.
County of Riveko = County of the Warm Gulf: AVAILABLE.

So what is this starting pack and how does it work?

The starting pack serves a single purpose: to keep Avaren coherent. On the first version of Amaroth, there was an empire called the Cragman Empire. At one point it shattered into a myriad of of states (Avaren reversed, you could say) and that is where things started to get really messy. Everyone could pick a country and start working on it as he or she saw fit. This resulted in extreme incoherence. Neighboring countries could have cultures that were so extremely different it was hard to believe that they formed a single nation barely a century ago.
As we want to prevent this from happening again, this time we will work with so-called starting packs. They give an indication of how the province should be, giving the person working on it a frame to work in and a handy starting point. If the creation-team does a good job creating the packs and the creating people abide to them correctly, we can turn Avaren into a logical puzzle of provinces, rather than a hodgepodge of cultures and ideas.

So what's in these packs?
-A flag and insignia of the ruling family. Why? Because we want heraldry to be coherent. For example: if Ixanar has a flag with an animal on it, Avelia one with a simple tricolor, and Deroman a fleur de lis, one would wonder how these flags could be so very different while the provinces are so close to one another. By letting the Team create the flags, consistency is assured.
-A basic description of nature in this province and some of the consequences it brings. In doing so, we create consistency in nature (for example, if Iln is very arid, Riveko can't be a lush paradise) and show the creator the limitation of the province itself. Fertility of the soil, the amount of land that is avaiable for agriculture or structures, possibilities for production. All of this can be of dire influence in creating the province.
-Political attitude towards the rest of Avaren. We can't all be agressive and broody provinces waiting for a war to break out so they can declare themselves independent. Some provinces are bound to be more cooperative than others. In order to control this diversity, the Creation Team adds a very brief outline of the province in every starting pack. Inward political structure is up to the creator.
-Cultural influence. Every province has a vegetation and climate that can be linked to a similar region on earth. As such, it would be logical if there were similarities in architecture and culture. For example, Yuroka has a climate and landscape similar to that of south-Bavaria (Bayern), so parallels in culture and architecture would be logical. This, however, is not the biggest point and the team merely requests the creator to use the earthly equivalent of the province as an inspiration in his or her creating. However, if the team deems the result too different from the equivalent, they may reject it.

If you have any questions about the contents, feel free to do so. If there are some things in there you really don't like, we can negociate an alteration, but only if you come up with an alternative you deem more fitting. The creation-team has the right to refuse to alter the package and if this happens you can either accept that and work with the guidelines given to you or refuse to do so and drop your request. Dropping your request has no negative consequences. The Dutchy/County that was dropped will be made available for request again, and you are allowed to request another province.

Political attitude and cultural influence are open for debate. Getting these to be changed should not be hard if you come up with something that would make more sense.
The flag and family-insignia are not open for debate. Period.
Nature and everything related to it is not directly open for debate. The only way you can get it to be changed is when you can prove the information given is faulty.

Valar Morghulis.

Post subject: Re: Request a province
PostPosted: Sat 26 May 2012, 20:29 
Soldier
Soldier

On this very moment I claim the county of Ersenai. because the roots of mine character lay down in this county. And according mine second RP post she still lives in Ersenai, in the city of course. So the global sketch of Koningsberg isn't correct I just realised. I will improve the map, so it fits with the facts

Going faster than the speed of light isn't possible. That would mean you could go to a place in time. And at that time you wouldn´t be born, but still would be at that place.

PostPosted: Sat 26 May 2012, 20:49 
Soldier
Soldier

Just to confirm... the city isn't a part of the arounding county's, does it Uly?

PostPosted: Sat 26 May 2012, 21:17 
Soldier
Soldier

Going faster than the speed of light isn't possible. That would mean you could go to a place in time. And at that time you wouldn´t be born, but still would be at that place.

PostPosted: Sun 27 May 2012, 01:39 
Creation-team
Creation-team

Duck, I was kinda waiting for you to pick Ersenai. Your request has been approved and you can expect a starting pack by monday.

Now, about Konigsberg. It is very important to realise that Konigsberg was built after the unification of Avaren. It is, by every definition, the royal city. You can easily compare Konigsberg to Washington D.C. Both are the capital of their respective country, both were built after the founding of their country, both were designed to be the capital of their country, both have been built on neutral soil.
As such, Konigsberg isn't part of any county or duchy. The part of Konigsberg that was built on Ersenaian (Erseni... Ersenic... Ersenan... You figure it out, it's your county :V ) soil does not belong to Ersenai and does not ow allegiance to its Count. Just like the fact that the part of Kongigsberg that was built on Avelian soil owes no allegiance to the Count of Avelia.
If it is within the walls of Konigsberg, it's part of the Royal Province of Konigsberg. I think it goes without saying that the Royal Province is not available for you guys to work on. Well, not directly. Everyone can have his or her influence on Konigsberg in the thieves-RP.

Valar Morghulis.

PostPosted: Sun 27 May 2012, 11:58 
Soldier
Soldier

It does make more sense indeed that is has it's own county. But still, like you said too, it was build on soil which was belonging to the surrounding counties. What I actually have written before, is that de Edel is build on soil that was from Ersenai.

In short, the map of Koningsberg doesn't fit in what is said before in the rp and needs to be changed.

It is clear for me now. And I will probably not start before Thursday, you can send it later if it suits you.

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jun 2012, 14:44 
Soldier
Soldier

I want to claim Avelia, because I want to make the story behind the name Avelia...

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jun 2012, 15:44 
Mage
Mage

Didn't know where to put this, so I'm just going to go ahead and post it in this thread. I just want to congratulate the creation team on what they've accomplished so far. I have to say they've done a pretty good job so far and have proven me wrong. You've saved Amaroth (let's hope forever?) and I have to apologize for doubting your creativity and drive. You've accomplished so far what neither of us (with us, I refer to me and Asger) could do and I have to say I'm really impressed. So part of this post is to let you know just that.

I also wanted to say that your creativity is making my fingers tingle again. Every time I come online to watch what you've been up to, I read something that makes me want to jump in again.

So... maybe I'll try my hand at a province. Just to see how it goes. So... if you're still willing to give me a chance at creating, I'd like to try my hand at Lynmeon. Give me a deadline. I'll send something back a week after I get a package. And if you'd rather not let me try, well I understand and I'll just disappear again.

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jun 2012, 16:00 
Creation-team
Creation-team

Artian, welcome back. It's good to see you drop old grudges and acknowledge our work of the last month. It goes without saying that I'm accepting your apology and would gladly let you work on the province of Lynmeon. You can probably expect a starting pack to be sent today, and next week we'll see how far you've gotten. Good luck!

Valar Morghulis.

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jun 2012, 13:00 
Creation-team
Creation-team

Doublepost because I can!

Fantasyrik, Arin ans isakvip, I would like you guys to tell us how much progress you've made since receiving your starting pack last week. That's rather important, for this way we can correct anything we disagree with while it's still in the early stages and we can see what's to be expected.
Contact me via PM or Skype.

Valar Morghulis.

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jun 2012, 17:24 
Inhabitant
Inhabitant

Since i´ve been very busy last week (and i didn´t have the pack before) i´ve got almost nothing.

I also have a question, in my starting pack was almost everything; militairy structure, culture, politics etc. I thought I had to create. What actually are the things I have to create?

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jun 2012, 17:36 
Creation-team
Creation-team

We merely set the theme, it's up to you to actually fill it in. If I'm not mistaken, Meraley was said to be trade-focussed. So you can build the society upon this fact. What are the social classes, what are they based on, how do they interact? What kind of economy does the county have? We've given you the basics, it's up to you to do the details.

Things to work on are exact military structure (how does the county react to a call to arms, how does it organize its army, what kind of weapons does it focus on) and society. After that, stuff like politics (how do the nobles interact? Is there much infighting and if so, of what kind? What is the role of the Count?) are generally useful to work on. There really is a lot more than directly meets the eye.

Valar Morghulis.

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jun 2012, 21:28 
Mage
Mage

I have 1300 words so far describing the political and geographical situation. I will post it tomorrow after I finish the last heraldries for the 5 estates. And then I'll do the military, economy, customs and history. I've been enjoying it so far :D

So tomorrow, I'll post it. I think it'll be quite an interesting province.

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jun 2012, 10:34 
Soldier
Soldier

Ulysess, is it perhaps an idea to make sub forums for the counties. Because I believe it will become quite a chaos otherwise.

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jun 2012, 11:53 
Creation-team
Creation-team

Counties that have been finishied will be put on the Wiki and have their topics removed. As such, the number of active topics is equal to the number of members that are working on a province. So it's not all that messy.

Valar Morghulis.