[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Amaroth • View topic - Meraley, the county of the little fruit
homehomehome
leftWikiForumChatroomhomeBibliotheekAcademieAtlasright
bottom
It is currently Sat 31 Oct 2020, 20:17

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun 2012, 18:40 
Inhabitant
Inhabitant

I'm still working on this, but this is already the beginning.

Meraley, the county of the little fruit

2. The beginning

When the Meraleyan lived in tribes, long ago, before the surrounding areas were even settled, they had no money or something like that, every tribe shared all they had with their tribe members and everybody was well-fed, but life became boring, so they wanted something to do, that’s when the first primary trade began. At first, it was kind of a game, but they needed something to count the points, that is when the first money was made, the first money in Meraley was something to count points in a game, which later would become real trading. They grew fruits and made wine, which they could trade, but also other things, the game was to try to get as many points (money) as you actually could get for something, so try to get as much money for a bottle of wine as possible. Because of this game the Meraleyan learnt how to get as much money as possible, but also their products became notable better, because they wanted more money, they tried to find new ways to improve the quality of theyre wine. Because of this improving of the quality of wine at an early point and on such massive scale, the Meraleyan wine nowadays is one of the best wines you can get and drinking a glass of Meraleyan wine with your guests means a good taste of wine and you’re pretty rich. They also found ways of making wine out of more than only grapes, they made wine out of apples, pears, plumbs, oranges and every other fruits they grew, also they made wine out of honey. Later, when the other areas became settled they had a strong mercantile spirit as well as good products, this made they became a very trade-focussed nation. But when the other areas became settled further and further, there came a danger that Meraley would become overtaken and settled as well. This is when the Meraleyan tribes united and defined and defended their area so they could keep it. This area was what later would become Leros and Meraley. At this point they needed a leader and they decided to vote between the leaders of the tribes so they got a leader and a ruling family, the chosen leader was Amayituke, of the Malasysta tribe, the capitol of the new nation was named after his tribe and the nation was called Meraley.

3. Social classes

Since Meraley is very trade-focussed, traders are very important, some of the rich traders were even higher on the social ladder than some people of nobility. The social ladder is in this order (First the most important class, last the less important class).
• The Leader
• The other members of the ruling family
• The high clergy
• The very high nobility
• The low clergy
• The high nobility
• The very rich traders
• The low nobility
• The winemakers
• The normal traders
• The grape-and fruitfarmers
• The artisans
• The poor traders
• The normal farmers who farm grain and vegetables
As you see, it’s very complicated, but we can split them up in three groups, The ruling family (including the leader), The higher citizens (the clergy and nobility) and The lower commons (everyone else).
First, the rights of the groups:
The rights of the ruling family:
• They can do whatever they want without getting punished, the only things they can’t do are public affairs like change laws and declare war, the only one who can do this is the leader.
The duty’s of the ruling family:
• They kind of have no duty’s, only the leader has to do public affairs, this is a duty.
• The leader (who has control over the taxes), has to give money to Leros, to help training soldiers.

The rights of the higher citizens:
• They don’t have to pay as high taxes as the lower commons.
• They get money from the taxes and food from the farmers who work on their lands.
• In time of war, the clergy doesn’t have to fight.
The duty’s of the higher citizens:
• The nobility has to answer a call at arms in time of war immediatly.
• They must obey the leader, whatever he wants from them and how stupid a plan seems to be.
• The clergy has to heal the wounded soldiers in time of war.

The rights of the lower commons:
• The merchants can keep a third of the money they earn.
• The normal farmers (grain/vegetables) can keep a quarter of what they get.
• The grape-and fruitfarmers are provided of money by the government, but they have to give everything they get to the government. The same for the winemakers, they have to give everything they make to the government. The government sells the wines and fruits to merchants.
• Since Leros provides soldiers, they don’t have to fight until the enemy army comes near 20 km close to the city where they live.
• They can marry whoever they want, but, both persons have to want to marry eachother before they can.

The duty’s of the lower commons:
• They must obey the leader.
• They have to work, it doesn’t care if they become farmer or merchant or winemaker or whatever, as long as you work.
• They have to pay taxes, how big the taxes are depends on which job you do.

Last edited by Arin on Wed 27 Jun 2012, 12:39, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun 2012, 19:06 
Mage
Mage

Well I can already think of a pretty good reason for Lynmeon to go to war with the Meraleyan. They seem to be competitors on the wine area. Lynmeoner wine also has a good reputation and it is one of the few things the Lynmeoner can trade. So naturally, having a competitor as a neighbor would be cause enough to go to war from time to time!

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun 2012, 19:32 
Inhabitant
Inhabitant

Nice :D , me likes war :P , i also thought it was weird if two countys near eachother export the same product, but is was in my info pack, and i don't want to make Lav chag ;)

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun 2012, 19:59 
Creation-team
Creation-team

It is no more than logical that both Meraley and their neighbours the Lynmeonans would produce wine: the climate and terrain are well-suited for growing grapes suitable for wine. As such, the main wine-producing region in all of Avaren consists of Ersenai, Meraley, Leros, and Lynmeon. It would make sense for the different parties to have continuously struggled for the control over the land that produces the liquid red gold up until the very moment of the Unification of Avaren.
Keep in mind, Artian, that Meraley and Leros used to form a single nation, making it a tough opponent for Lynmeon: plenty of manpower (mostly from what now is Leros) and very defendable terrain have ultimately foiled every attempt that Lynmeon made to conquer the wine-region. Not that they've been completely unsuccesfull, but I'll leave that matter up to you two to solve. I suggest you (meaning Arin and Artian) go sit around the table to discuss how these wars played out. How frequent, how violent, how succesfull, et cetera. It should be fun!

Now, onwards to the actual work you put forth. Arin, I think you've gotten the wrong approach on how Meraley was settled. It was never a matter of settling, the people who happened to live in Meraley merely adapted to their situation, just like everywhere else. Of course you can say that there used to be tribes very long ago that first identified themselves as Meralers, but if we're going to do this tribal movement thingy stuff is bound to get -very- messy.
So I'd like you to alter your approach for a bit. Ignore the settling stuff, start out with a different idea. Like: how did the mercantile spirt (handelsgeest) in Meraley become so strong? Is it perhaps because of strong local rivalry between farmers, perhaps? Or did it start out as a sort of friendly contest? Or was it even something else?

I think that would be a great starting point for you to pick. From there, you can think of how the mercantile spirit grew and how it affected culture and politics. From there on, everything is pretty much cruise control.

Valar Morghulis.

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jun 2012, 18:25 
Inhabitant
Inhabitant

OK Uly, so... Meraley haven't been settled, but the people already lived there (as tribes) and they just adapted to the fact that other aras became settled, i think i can think up something.

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jun 2012, 18:51 
Inhabitant
Inhabitant

Changed it

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jun 2012, 10:55 
Soldier
Soldier

I want to say that it's logic that Meraley and Lynmeon both produce wine, just as Uly said. Also was that the reason that I have said to Artian that he mustn't put such an accent on the production of wine.

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jun 2012, 16:21 
Inhabitant
Inhabitant

Is it better like this Uly?

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jun 2012, 16:57 
Creation-team
Creation-team

I still think you are getting me wrong. Humans came to Meraley the same time they came to every other area in Avaren. We just assume they've always been there and just Develloped according to their surroundings.

It's easier for you to say that the people in Meraley were first to use a trade system that worked with money and that people from surrounding areas became jealous of the wealth there. They started invading and plundering, forcing the Meralers to band together and electing leading families.
Furthermore, I think you unite the entire nation too fast and forget about the fact that it used to be one country with Leros. It would be more logical to start organizing on a small level. In time, relationships between local governments would increase to the level of fusing their territories for greater profit. Eventually, this fusion would include all the land that now is Meraley and Leros. It's just a suggestion, though. What's most important is that you keep in mind that hostilities towards Meraley did not rise all of a sudden. The process is gradual.

Valar Morghulis.

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jun 2012, 11:06 
Soldier
Soldier

Okey good job with the social ladder. But you can make it to a much bigger tale! For first it is enough and when you work on other things, you should get a better vision on the social ladder.

One queston, the situation of the farmers, it's quit communistic isn't it? I'm fine with that, but just to know for certain.

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jun 2012, 13:45 
Inhabitant
Inhabitant

Yeah, with the farmers who produce fruit and grapes, and the winemakers it is because those are the main products, so yeah, it's quite communistic.

PostPosted: Tue 16 Oct 2012, 16:41 
Soldier
Soldier

I made a short story about the seperation of "Vyrahel" - Country of birds. Vyrahel was divided in Leros en Meraley at the unification of Avaren.

The story of Vyrahel;

Vyrahel was a kingdom in time of the unification of Avaren. The land had always been divided by the river, which acrossed the middle of the country. The kings and queens asked already in early times to architects to find a way to overcome this problem. The kingdom therefore specialized in the building of bridges and strong ships. Therefore the kingdom was always connected. The king had two castles one in the north of the country and one in the south. In the north the kingdom was specialized in the cultivation of fruit. They made from berry's whine. In the south the kings established a large army. Every young unmarried man had to serve for two years in this army. You had to serve before you could marry. There were many garrisons around the country, who alternated eachother in location. This way the army was always travelling trough the country. They kept the peace inside and outside the country. Every garrison had to report local conflicts and other local variables. These reports were sent to local secretaries. The local noblemen was head of the secretary. When necessary he reported to the king. This way the king knew about every important phenomenon in the country. The nobles were loyal to their king, because they had the right to trade the land revenues. They only had to pay a small amount of tax. All inhabitants of Vyrahel had to pay a head tax. The farmers also had to pay all single taxes, which the king taxed. Taxes were gathered by soldiers and brought to the local noblemen. He was responsible to get the money to the king. A part of the money were locally used to maintain and pay the soldiers.

The inhabitants of Vyrahel were most times really proud on their country. They had a strong army, a good economy and mostly good ruling lords. The people liked to show their sublimity. Therefore they made fine houses. It was really important to show how well you were. Even the pour people spend all their free time in fixing and decorating their houses. Also to other country's they felt sublime. The king and his people therefore got into war to expand their territory.

Around 400 a.d. king Eldemar were ruling. He was lucky enough to have a nice wife and was gifted with two boys. A twin. The birth of a twin wasn't common to kings, but resulted most times in war between the brothers. King Eldemar wouldn't let that happen between his sons. The unification of Avaren brought the solution. However the kingdom was proud and stubborn to remain an independend kingdom, King Eldemar gave up his kingdom and divided it in two parts. For either son a part. The unification made this seperation possible. With no enemies around their bourders, the country would'nt have to focus on the defense. There would be no risk in dividing the country. Not everybody in Vyrahel was happy with the choice of king Eldemar, but there was no aggresive ressistance. King Eldemar never regretted his choise. His sons lived forever in peace.

PostPosted: Thu 08 Nov 2012, 16:36 
Soldier
Soldier

The map of Meraley:

PostPosted: Fri 09 Nov 2012, 19:02 
Soldier
Soldier

The map of Vyrahel:

As you can see, the boundary's of Ersenai and Aquinasko are different in the time of the old kingdoms. I made them this way because the natural riverboundary didn't exist in time of the kingdoms. It would be illogical to let the boundary's be as in later times because they didn't already know were the river would flow and the river always chooses the most logical path and not the path of boundary's.